- Ask butcher for West Coast spring lamb shanks, short bones.
- Olive oil for frying.
- 2 teaspoons Khoisan Seasalt flakes (or Khoisan Garlic & Parley Seasalt)
- Freshly ground black pepper. 2 pieces cinnamon. 5 cloves. 2 bay leaves.
- 6 garlic cloves chopped thickly.
- 2 sliced carrots. 2 sliced red onions. 2 large leeks sliced.
- 1 packet butternut chunks or pumpkin.
- 1 small tin tomato paste. 1 large tin tomato & onion.
- 6 anchovies.
- ½ cup marmalade or apricot jam.
- 1 cup red wine.
Heat oil in large baking pan. Dust lamb shanks with flour and season with Khoisan SeaSalt and black pepper. Brown in olive oil.
Layer shanks, chopped tomato & paste, cinnamon, cloves, garlic, onions, carrots, anchovies, marmalade and wine in baking pan. Cover with foil before putting on lid. Put in 200 degree oven.
After 1 ½ – 2 hours, check there is enough sauce, then put in leeks, herbs to taste: rosemary, sage, origanum, thyme; and pumpkin chunks; taste for seasoning, and bake for a further 1 hour or when meat is almost off the bone.